Home energy efficiency upgrades are a great way to save money and help protect the environment.
There are many incentive programs to help offset your investment! Below you can find programs for existing home renovation upgrades and for energy efficient new home construction of single family homes and row-homes.
For more information on energy efficiency upgrades and rebates check betterhomesbc.ca - the information hub for unbiased energy efficiency information on homes.
For programs for upgrading multi-unit residential buildings, commercial buildings, and businesses check out betterbuildingsbc.ca.
Rebates for Existing Homes
These rebates are available for upgrades and pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluations completed on or after September 28, 2018. If you completed your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation before this date, please contact us directly. It is your responsibility to read, understand, and meet the eligibility requirements by reviewing the Program's terms and conditions before you start your energy efficiency upgrades.
- Insulation - up to $5,500
- Ductless Heat Pump - up to $3,000 (municipal top-ups may apply)
- Central System Heat Pump - up to $3,000 (municipal top-ups may apply)
- Hydronic Heat Pump - $3,000
- Electric Heat Pump Water Heater - up to $1,000
- Combination Space and Water Heat Pump - up to $4,000
- Electrical Services Upgrade - $500
- Natural Gas Furnace - up to $1000
- Natural Gas Boiler or Combination Space and Water Heating System - up to $1,200
- Natural Gas Water Heater - up to $1,000
- Natural Gas Fireplace - $300 per fireplace
- Windows and Doors - up to $100 per window or door
- Two Upgrade Bonus - $300 for installing two or more bonus-eligible upgrades
Energy Advisor Supported Rebates
- EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate - $300 for having both a pre- and post-retrofit energy evaluation. Some municipalities offer a $150 top-up to this rebate.
- Home Energy Improvement Bonus - install three or more bonus eligible upgrades between your pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation and receive $20 per percentage reduction in your EnerGuide Rating.
Application and Deadline Requirements
All applications must be submitted with supporting invoice documentation. Some upgrades may also require supplementary documentation. See sample invoices. You may wish to provide your contractor with these samples to ensure each item outlined is clearly indicated on your invoices.
Be sure to make photocopies of any forms or invoices you're submitting to the Rebate Program and keep them on file. If you are applying for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus or the EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate, the energy advisor will need to see your invoices when completing your post-retrofit evaluation in order to submit your Energy Advisor Supported Rebates form.
- For individual upgrade rebates, you must submit your application form(s) to the Rebate Program within 6 months of the invoice date of your upgrade(s). It is your responsibility to ensure the Rebate Program receives your application form and supporting documentation within this deadline. City Green and energy advisors working with City Green do not complete this form for you and take no responsibility for ensuring it is received by the deadline.
- For the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate, you must complete three bonus-eligible upgrades and a post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation, and submit your application form(s) to the Rebate Program within 6 months of your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
Your energy advisor will complete and submit an Energy Advisor Supported Rebates form after your post-retrofit evaluation.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your post-retrofit evaluation is scheduled within 18 months of your pre-retrofit evaluation to ensure your application form and Energy Advisor Supported Rebates form can be submitted within your deadline.
Use the online step-by-step application form to apply for your rebates and bonuses.
If you require a paper application form contact BC Hydro at 1-877-338-3347, press 3 when prompted and leave a message with your name and number and the request for a paper application form.
The Energy Conservation Assistance Program is for income-qualified households and provides an in home visit with free energy-saving product installation including energy-saving LED light bulbs, high efficiency showerheads, and weather-stripping to reduce drafts. FortisBC also offers a $25 furnace filter coupon. Some homes may also qualify for an ENERGY STAR® refrigerator, insulation in walls, attic, and/or crawlspace, and/or a high-efficiency gas furnace. You can also receive customized energy coaching for how to improve your home’s efficiency.
BC Hydro, FortisBC, Pacific Northern Gas and local municipal utilities are offering free energy saving kits for income-qualified households. The kits include the following: water-efficient showerhead, kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators, weather-stripping, window film, outlet and switch plate sealers, a refrigerator/freezer thermometer, an LED night light and four LED light bulbs, a furnace filter coupon (for FortisBC gas customers), & installation guide.
Get up to $1,700 in rebates when you connect to natural gas and replace your wood stove, oil or propane space heating system with an eligible ENERGY STAR® high-efficiency natural gas furnace, boiler or combination heating and hot water system. By doing so, you’ll improve the comfort of your home and save money on heating costs, plus you could get an additional rebate of up to $1,000 if you install an eligible natural gas high-efficiency water heater, for a total rebate of up to $2,700.
Check the program website for more information.
- CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance -The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Green Home Program provides either a 15% or 25% premium refund on your mortgage loan insurance when you purchase or construct a new home that meets or exceeds eligible building standards.
- Genworth Mortgage Loan Insurance - The Genworth Mortgage Loan Insurance Premium Refund Program provides up to a 25% Premium Refund on your Mortgage Loan Insurance when you improve the energy efficiency of your newly purchased home.
Receive rebates for ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators, washers and dryers.
- BC Hydro appliance rebates - BC Hydro offers appliance rebates periodically. Check the BC Hydro website for more information on the program timelines and rebates available.
- FortisBC appliance rebates - You must be a FortisBC electricity customer to qualify for these rebates. Check the FortisBC website for more information.
Rebates for New Homes
Access rebates for working with an Energy Advisor to build your new home in compliance with BC Energy Step Code. Rebates of up to $8,000 are available, plus additional rebates for installing select high-efficiency natural gas or electric appliances and water heaters.
- Genworth Mortgage Loan Insurance - The Genworth Energy-Efficient Housing Program provides either a 15% or 25% premium refund on your mortgage loan insurance when you purchase a new home built under a qualifying energy efficient building program.
- CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance - The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Green Home Program provides either a 15% or 25% premium refund on your mortgage loan insurance when you purchase or construct a new home that meets or exceeds eligible building standards.